New full-screen button layout and functionality

New full-screen button layout and functionality

Postby Open Mind » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:39 am

I just got an idea that you might like:

The full-screen buttons are nice to have, but not to look at - not because they're ugly, but because they're sometimes blocking information on the screen. I know I can turn them off but I find them useful :)

But what if there was only ONE full-screen button in the upper right corner, in the shape of a quater circle slice, semi transparant (like the standard non-invisible trackpad) and with no white icon. This button could serve all the functionality of the old buttons in this intuitive way:

When placing your finger (thumb) on the button and sliding down, the keyboard should slide up. Doing it again would hide the keyboard.

When pressing and holding down the button, 3 new buttons should appear just below it: "exit full-screen", "trackpad on/of" and "keyboard show/hide".

This way the buttons are never in the way, blocking information on the screen and you don't need to be able to move the button around or make the app remember it's last location or have an option to show it or not. :)

PS: I assume there is no way for Remoter to know when I select a text field on the mac and then automatically show the keyboard? this would of course be the coolest way to activate the keyboard. :)
Open Mind

Re: New full-screen button layout and functionality

Postby raf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:09 am

I like it. I was actually thinking of something similar. One button (didn't think of making it transparent yet, good point), that would reveal more options once tapped. I was envisioning a radial-menu. But any mode will be better than the current.
I'll make sure to create a trac ticket so it doesn't fall through the cracks!

And you're right, the RFB protocol (used by VNC) doesn't notify the client of things like that (when keyboard input is expected) unfortunately..

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Open Mind » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:14 am

edit: if the new full-screen button is integrated into a new keyboard layout*, the most intuitive position for the button when the keyboard is hidden, would be at the lower right corner (where the keyboard slides up). The functionality could still be the same (hold brings up a radial menu), but the sliding gesture on the button to slide up the keyboard should of course be upwards.

*like suggested here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=232&p=1009#p1009
Open Mind

Postby raf » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:07 am

Open Mind wrote:edit: if the new full-screen button is integrated into a new keyboard layout*, the most intuitive position for the button when the keyboard is hidden, would be at the lower right corner (where the keyboard slides up). The functionality could still be the same (hold brings up a radial menu), but the sliding gesture on the button to slide up the keyboard should of course be upwards.

*like suggested here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=232&p=1009#p1009

That's a good idea. But I do like the popover idea too. I'll have to think about it. Maybe both, as the fullscreen buttons can already be disabled.
I like the slide from the bottom to bring the kb up idea. I just need to make sure it doesn't interfere with the moving/zooming of the main view. But should be doable.

Thanks!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests