One touch operation

One touch operation

Postby Open Mind » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:59 am

Hi Raf

I use your brilliant app to control my htpc (mac mini) 5-10 times a day. I have 5 pc/mac's, but I only use VNC with the htpc. Every time I open the app, I select the same session, then select full-screen, move the full-screen buttons to the top right corner (so they don't block, the menus on the menu bar) and then press the trackpad-button. For me it would be a dream to only have to press one button to get full control of my mac - the App icon. (also after the app had been closed for more than 10 minutes)

I have described my "ideal user experience" but not the way to get there. This is because there may be a thousand ways and you might come up with an even more clever way than I can. I have however thought about it and have some suggestions:

One solution could be to have an option in settings that enabled the user to choose to always resume (auto connect to) the last session with the same settings (i.e. full-screen, trackpad enabled).The default position of the full-screen buttons could be changed to the top right corner (just under the OS's menubar, so you can still see the "close window" buttons in Windows). This would make sense for both mac, pc and ubuntu users, because the OS menus are left aligned in every OS.

I think this option would be great for a lot of users, also the ones with multiple servers, because one usually uses one server more than others or more times in a row and therefore it would still mean fewer button presses in average)

Another thing that would make the app even more simple to use, would be the ability to add alternative hostnames to the same session (server). The Plex App for iOS also has this. Right now I have two sessions for the same mac mini server: one for local network acces and one for internet acces via dyndns.org. It would be cool if one could just select a session and the Remoter VNC app itself would choose the relevant hostname/ip for the server by checking to see if I'm on the same network or not.

Keep up the good work. It's getting better all the time.
Open Mind

Re: One touch operation

Postby raf » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Open Mind!

I definitely like the idea of Remoter remembering if you have the trackpad up, location of fullscreen buttons, and just restoring this on reconnect.
Reconnecting on restart is a little trickier, but I'll see what I can do. With the multitasking, "restarting" the app, is lots of times, just returning to a running app. But I'll figure something out.

About the server keeping multiple hostnames, I'll have to look at the plex app to see how they organize this; but you should be able to use the "external" session even while in your local LAN right now.

Keep the ideas coming!,

Raf.

PS: I'll open a couple of trac tickets right now for these
raf
Site Admin

Re: One touch operation

Postby Open Mind » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:38 am

That sounds great! I think a lot of users will benefit from this new feature.

You're right about me being able to also use the external session locally, but the local session is much snappier than the external one (obviously), so I use the local session whenever I'm home.

cheers :)
Open Mind

Return to Feature Requests