Scheduling "Wake Ups" (WoL)

Scheduling "Wake Ups" (WoL)

Postby ignatz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:48 am

Greetings ... and yes I have asked for this before, but I'm trying a different approach.
How about a Remoter Add-On? Is it possible/practical for Remoter to have an add-on that could execute a WoL at a set time? I realize I would have to leave the "Add-On" running (maybe multi-taking) ... and I assume you would not really want to integrate with the Calendar function. A "simple" function that maintains a table of events and sends the wake up, to the PC/Server, at the time specified on the table. Do you think there would be a viable market for the add-on? Is it completely outside of the Remoter function scheme? This should tell you that I have forgot to boot up 1 or 15 servers from time to time ... ouch.
Thanks ... and I won't ask for this again ... er, just kidding.
ignatz

Re: Scheduling "Wake Ups" (WoL)

Postby raf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:45 am

Unfortunately Apple's implementation of backgrounding tasks would make this impossible. Unless the app is performing GPS or voice-over-ip, the app gets suspended when sent to the background. The app can request time to finish a task, which is what Remoter does to maintain SSH tunnels running in the background. But this is limited to 10minutes, after which, the app is suspended. There is nothing the app can do about it, this is controlled by the OS.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Re: Scheduling "Wake Ups" (WoL)

Postby ignatz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 am

Got it.

Thanks for the quick and informative reply!
ignatz

Return to Feature Requests