Remoter VNC 2.4

New versions or other announcements

Remoter VNC 2.4

Postby raf » Wed May 18, 2011 11:47 am

(Tentatively called 2.2 (might need to bump the version number if Apple's system thinks 2.2 = 2.02).)
Update: Indeed Apple didn't like 2.2. So it's been submitted as 2.4.

I'm submitting to Apple hopefully today.
I'll post some more info about the new release here soon.

Update: 5/27: Remoter 2.4 was approved today, and is out now!

What's New:
-Added support for Mac's native Screen Sharing authentication (you can now use username/password to connect from Remoter, instead of a VNC password)
-Added Macros. Separate macros for vnc, ssh and telnet
-Added support for the latest version of UltraVNC (1.0.9.6): MSLogon now works with this version of UltraVNC. Multi-Monitor is also working in this version
-Localizated to: Spanish, Italian, German
-Dynamically generated toolbars only display active buttons(no Windows key for Mac, or Command for Windows, etc). New menu system via popovers to eliminate clutter.
-New fullscreen exit button remembers it's location, and uses menu system to display options. Remoter now also remembers if the session was in FullScreen mode, and will enter mode automatically on reconnect
-Sorting of sessions: by name, type or usage
-VNC clipboard sharing support
-By popular demand: keyboard keys are now semi-transparent (not just the keyboard background)
-Memory savings for VNC over SSH (no PTY/framebuffer allocation, no shell)
-Added a new optional alternative VNC encoding. This is required for VNC servers that cause graphical glitches with Remoter's default encodings (such as OpenSuse)
-New Danish keyboard mapping (thanks to user Open Mind)
-Added button to "Restore Purchases" in Remoter Store
-A new background and icon, and lots of other icons/glyphs have been updated
-Added an SSH Key Manager: Allows for generation(RSA for SSH1, RSA for SSH2, DSA), renaming, deletion, passphrase setting, emailing, copying of SSH keys to PasteBoard to use in SSH connections
-Different SSH Keys can be selected for each session
-Support for SSH Key Passphrases
-Added support for SSHv1 connections
-Terminal sizes for SSH/Telnet: Auto, 20x24, 80x24, and many more standard sizes.
-SSH compression can now be enabled/disabled
-Support for selecting text regions in terminal sessions (SSH/Telnet). Selections get stored in the device PasteBoard.
-SSH/Telnet cursor is now transparent so that the character behind it can be seen

-Many bugfixes including: -crash on startup caused by IPv6 address resolution -many issues with devices with firmware < 3.2 corrected -Updates to virtual trackpad -Corrected problem where multiple no-connectivity alerts would stack
Edit: "-WoL over WAN can be done with hostname instead of IP now." removed from the list. Unfortunately all of the required modifications for this fix didn't get committed into revision control correctly, and it's only partially enabled in the version submitted to Apple. Remoter will run name-resolution on the field, but the session editor won't allow the user to actually enter a hostname, it still only takes IP addresses. A work-around until 2.4.1 is to manually edit the sessions.plist file. Sorry about this.
raf
Site Admin

Re: Remoter VNC 2.4

Postby raf » Thu May 19, 2011 3:33 am

Submitted to Apple 5/19 @2:48AM EST
raf
Site Admin

Re: Remoter VNC 2.4 Submitted to Apple

Postby Warren » Thu May 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Yay I've been using mocha vnc free for two weeks and it's crap compared to remoter.

Hopefully the update fixes my crash on startup.

Cheers.
Warren

Postby raf » Thu May 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Warren wrote:Yay I've been using mocha vnc free for two weeks and it's crap compared to remoter.

Hopefully the update fixes my crash on startup.

Cheers.

Yes!, 2.4 does indeed fix the crash-on-startup problem!, and it has been heavily tested. Hopefully it will be approved soon. I'm not sure what's the turn-around this month. In March it was 7-10 days.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby speck58 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Is there RDP plugin support in this version? I remember in an earlier post you had mentioned 2.2 as the target for this.
speck58

Postby raf » Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 pm

No, RDP is not in 2.4.
But I am working on RDP right now, and will be included in the next version (2.6) (as a new in-app purchase, and of course included if you have "complete").

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby speck58 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Any kinda of ETA? I would love to see RDP support. Looking forward to testing out your UltraVNC MS Login support too. The WOL by hostname is super useful too. Just bought the app yesterday and loving it so far.
speck58

Postby raf » Mon May 23, 2011 4:22 pm

I don't want to promise dates, because then I will feel pressured to release an early buggy version. So I'll release it when it's ready.
I really will try to have it ready soon, though; but no dates. I'll post progress as I move forward.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Wed May 25, 2011 11:30 am

I added a quick note to the first post. WoL IP hostname is unfortunatelly not working correctly in 2.4. I could re-submit to Apple, but then it means we re-start the wait-game. I'll include this in 2.4.1 which will be released shortly after 2.4, with this and any other big issues found in 2.4.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Fri May 27, 2011 8:39 pm

And it's out!

-Updated the first post with a more comprehensive changelist.
-I'll follow with 2.4.1 with any reported problems.

Thanks!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements