Command-key in terminal session

Command-key in terminal session

Postby MrMacvos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:39 am

Hello,

Whenever I hit the command key (CMD on Apple keyboard), the terminal (SSH session to OS X Server) asks 'Display all 1745 possibilities? (y or n)'

When I select text and do CMD=C, the text gets copied AND the the CMD-C is passed through to the remote session where I then get this: 'Display all 133 possibilities? (y or n)'

To what key is CMD in this case mapped and how can I get rid of this behavior?

- -
Thanks,
Marc
MrMacvos

Re: Command-key in terminal session

Postby raf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:38 am

In Remoter, all you have to do to copy text in a terminal session is select the text.
You don't have to CMD+C it.

Hope this helps!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby MrMacvos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Ok! But that is not conform the common user interfaces. Between thousands of applications which use CMD/CTRL-C/X/V, only Remoter and MS Command Prompt do not! You know how used everyone is to use these key-combinations?

And, can you tell what the CMD-key then actually sends to the terminal?

- -
Thanks,
Marc
MrMacvos

Postby raf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Marc,

The reason Remoter copies this way is because remoter uses an the open-source "putty" project as the SSH engine, and this is the way this is handled in putty. I agree with you that this breaks common sense. I'm going to open a ticket to see if we can make some changes to this, so it's more logical. (Wait for Cmd+C before copying the info into the clipboard).
See here: http://trac.remoterlabs.com/index.fcgi/ticket/540
About what Cmd actually sends: It's 0xffeb (which is the windows key as defined by the X11 standard).

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby MrMacvos » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:10 am

That would be great! Thanks!

I found out that this 0xffeb is the same as holding Control-Escape down in a normal, local Terminal session.
MrMacvos

Postby alexschomb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Well, I guess common sense could be interpreted differently as PUTTY is very common and many other terminals copied the described behavior. There should be at least an option to switch between copy&paste methods as there might be some shell applications listening for CMD+C or CMD+V. A good example is the Windows or Linux complement to CMD+C: CTRL+C - in terminal context this is widely used to interrupt a running command/process.
alexschomb

Postby raf » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 pm

While what you say is true, Alex. In this case, I believe it to be safe to assign the command key. It was not really handled by Remoter correctly in any case, and Cmd+C, Cmd+V are always copy and paste. Unlike Control+C, Control+V.
raf
Site Admin

Postby alexschomb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Honestly I couldn't come up with any example of a shell application utilizing CMD+C or CMD+V, too. You got my blessing ;)
alexschomb

Return to Support