Remoter can crash when clicking the 'Cancel' on re-connect

Remoter can crash when clicking the 'Cancel' on re-connect

Postby maclemming » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:50 pm

I ran into a rather odd crash today on beta 1.1.6A.

Steps to reproduce:
1. I have Oracle VirtualBox running on a Windows 7 host. I have another Windows 7 host running as a VM. I have enabled the VBox Remote Display to use RDP on port 3391.
2. From another PC, connect to the RDP session, and see the VM's desktop.
3. Create a Remoter RDP session with the correct info, and try and connect to the remote session. Apparently the VirtualBox RDP server does not allow multiple connections, and does not disconnect the first user if a second user connects. The result is that the RDP server rejects the Remoter connection attempt. This causes Remoter to constantly retry connecting in an infinite loop.
4. I figured that to stop the loop, I need to quickly try and click the 'Cancel' button when it pops up. Most of the time when you click it, it doesn't appear to do anything, and the loop continues. After clicking on the Cancel button several times, eventually Remoter will crash

If I disconnect the first host, then Remoter is able to connect just fine and see the remote display.
Attachments
RemoterBeta_2012-09-05-172824_crash.zip
(245 Bytes) Downloaded 522 times
maclemming

Re: Remoter can crash when clicking the 'Cancel' on re-conne

Postby maclemming » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 pm

I also found a second bug where when you close an RDP session, and click Yes to disconnect, it doesn't really disconnect.

You can replicate my first issue just using Remoter. Connect to the VBox remote display, and then click the x to close, and say Yes to disconnect. Looking at a packet capture, you can see that the TCP connection is still open.
Then try and connect again from Remoter, and you'll get into the same loop and clicking the Cancel button will eventually crash Remoter.

I suspect that this is only a problem when using VirtualBox's remote display because it doesn't terminate the existing connection when a new one connects. Most other RDP servers will do this, so you wouldn't see the problem.
maclemming

Postby raf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks!,
I had to leave on a quick trip last week after the release. I'm back now. I'll take a look into this ASAP.

Thanks again!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:17 pm

I wasn't able to unzip that zip file, seems it only contains a symbolic link. But it's ok, I think I got this corrected. I'll post a new beta tonight (hopefully).

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi,
Please try the new beta. (1.1.7A)

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby maclemming » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Both issues look good on the new beta. Thanks Raf!

I also like the blue icon better than the purple one.
maclemming

Postby raf » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Great news! Thanks so much for testing the beta so fast! One more small update I'm working on, and I'll publish 1.2.1.

Thanks maclemming!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support