Comments on new beta

Re: Comments on new beta

Postby alexschomb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Wow, thanks. You're really fast in implementing new features, I really appreciate that!

Here are some additions/changes to the German translation:

Code: Select all
"Neuen Kategorie-Namen eingeben" should be "Name der neuen Kategorie?"

When duplicating an session entry the description of the new session contains an "(Copy)" on the end. You might want to translate that as well. In German this would translate to "(Kopie)".

"Telnet-Benuterzname anfordern" is truncated as well. So is "Control+Klick erzeugt einen Rechtsklick"; additionally you should remove the extra " ." at the end of the description text to this option.

Concerning the actions dropdown (cogs icon) for each session in the grid view the string "Wake" could be translated to "Aufwecken", though you might want to ask for an second opinion on this (it's a highly technical term again). Additionally there is an empty option in this dropdown with no function at all. Is this supposed to be an horizontal line?

Concerning the session editor in general I'd like to suggest to group the options by protocol, even for each tab. This could allow to get rid of the "SSH", "VNC", "RDP", .. in the beginning of each options title. In my opinion that would look nicer.
Also I'd like to ask you to order the category names in the dropdowns alphabetically. ;)

Thanks for all your active development and constant feedback!
alexschomb

Postby alexschomb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:54 pm

maclemming wrote:I have, and the only thing that I notice, is that there looks to be a visual effect when I am typing. It looks like it only happens (or at least I only notice it) when I am typing text. As I am typing, it looks like there is a fade effect where the new text fades in (quickly, but noticeable) instead of instantly showing up like it used to. I notice it on all session types. If I recall, you made some changes to the graphics, so I suspect that this is a side effect. I don't know if it is a bug, or a feature, but if it was intentional, I'd like a way to turn that off because I liked the fast display updates.

I can confirm this even with deactivated VNC hardware acceleration. This happens not only while typing. Personally I don't care and if this allows for performance improvements I'd thankfully welcome them. In this case I guess another option would be nice.
alexschomb

Postby alexschomb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:00 pm

I think I found a new bug. This might have to do with the changes you made concerning the automatic resizing when closing the window of a session only (not disconnecting it). When closing the window and selecting not to disconnect the session and reopening the window again by clicking the session entry in the grid view the session window pops up (gray content) for a second and closes. Even disconnecting the session with the actions dropdown won't work. Only way to see the session again and/or disconnecting it is to completely quit RemoterBeta and restarting it.
alexschomb

Postby alexschomb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:28 pm

I stumbled upon another strange behavior. I decided to shutdown a remote Windows XP computer with TightVNC v2.5.2 (32bit). When shutting down the PC would stop the VNC server from working and RemoterBeta would show the following window:

I decided to click on "Ja", which means "Yes", and the popup closed with no other function at all. The message "Nebenplatz 10 Getrennt." (sic! should say "Nebenplatz 10 wurde getrennt.") basically means that the connection has been closed.
alexschomb

Postby raf » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:48 am

maclemming wrote:I have, and the only thing that I notice, is that there looks to be a visual effect when I am typing. It looks like it only happens (or at least I only notice it) when I am typing text. As I am typing, it looks like there is a fade effect where the new text fades in (quickly, but noticeable) instead of instantly showing up like it used to. I notice it on all session types. If I recall, you made some changes to the graphics, so I suspect that this is a side effect. I don't know if it is a bug, or a feature, but if it was intentional, I'd like a way to turn that off because I liked the fast display updates.

Thanks for testing!.
I have disabled the animation in beta 1.1.4A. Please give it a shot.

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:51 am

alexschomb wrote:Here are some additions/changes to the German translation:

Thanks! I've updated the localization strings for German based on your input. Please try the new beta (1.1.4A) to check them.

Also:
"Telnet-Benuterzname anfordern" is truncated as well. So is "Control+Klick erzeugt einen Rechtsklick"

Fixed

Concerning the actions dropdown (cogs icon) for each session in the grid view the string "Wake" could be translated to "Aufwecken"

Fixed

Additionally there is an empty option in this dropdown with no function at all. Is this supposed to be an horizontal line?

Fixed! Thanks

Concerning the session editor in general I'd like to suggest to group the options by protocol, even for each tab. This could allow to get rid of the "SSH", "VNC", "RDP", .. in the beginning of each options title. In my opinion that would look nicer.

I'll work on this idea for the next version. Thanks for the feedback, though.

Also I'd like to ask you to order the category names in the dropdowns alphabetically. ;)

Fixed

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:52 am

alexschomb wrote:I think I found a new bug. This might have to do with the changes you made concerning the automatic resizing when closing the window of a session only (not disconnecting it). When closing the window and selecting not to disconnect the session and reopening the window again by clicking the session entry in the grid view the session window pops up (gray content) for a second and closes. Even disconnecting the session with the actions dropdown won't work. Only way to see the session again and/or disconnecting it is to completely quit RemoterBeta and restarting it.

Strange, I can't recreate this behavior. Can you please give me more details on this session? (type, resolution, window size, etc)
Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby alexschomb » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:42 am

Hello raf,

thank you again for your fast implementation. Right now Remoter for Mac now becomes more and more valuable each day.

I found out that the problem with the gray screen when reopening a session, mentioned above, seems to happen only for connections with a bad latency (in my case a customer VPN). Local PCs and some other customers don't show that behavior and work as expected.

I got another string to translate, honestly I don't know why I have missed that one. In the actions dropdown of the grid view: "Edit" should be translated to "Bearbeiten".

Sorry to say, but I found another glitch, though it is a minor one. You have changed the background for session entries without a screenshot in the last beta version. As a result of that for some entries/categories the session entries are missing the right black border of the entry, it is cutted. Compare the following two screenshots, both from the latest beta version.

With graphical glitch:

Without graphical glitch:
Last edited by alexschomb on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexschomb

Postby alexschomb » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:46 am

Here are the details to one of those sessions that show the mentioned problem when reopening the session window.

Code: Select all
$ ping 10.1.0.45
PING 10.1.0.45 (10.1.0.45): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.1.0.45: icmp_seq=0 ttl=126 time=74.705 ms
64 bytes from 10.1.0.45: icmp_seq=1 ttl=126 time=73.236 ms
^C
--- 10.1.0.45 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 73.236/73.971/74.705/0.735 ms

The VNC server used is TightVNC v2.5.2 again.
alexschomb

Postby raf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:15 am

alexschomb wrote:I got another string to translate, honestly I don't know why I have missed that one. In the actions dropdown of the grid view: "Edit" should be translated to "Bearbeiten".

Fixed. Thanks!

Sorry to say, but I found another glitch, though it is a minor one. You have changed the background for session entries without a screenshot in the last beta version. As a result of that for some entries/categories the session entries are missing the right black border of the entry, it is cutted. Compare the following two screenshots, both from the latest beta version.

I was able to recreate this glitch by going into "System Preferences" - "General" And setting "Show scroll bars" to "Always".
I've adjusted the window sizes to account for this potential case. Thanks for the report!

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Support