Mouse cursor dissapears

Mouse cursor dissapears

Postby maclemming » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:24 pm

I have been seeing a strange behavior where the mouse cursor disappears when switching to the session chooser from a Remoter session.

Here's how to see the problem:
1. Open Remoter to the session chooser window, and open a session to a host (RDP or VNC). Move the remote host window to the side so you can see both windows.
2. Click in the remote host to get the mouse active in that session.
3. Press Cmd+` (tilde button) to switch between Remoter windows. The session chooser window becomes active, but the mouse cursor is not visible, no matter where you move the mouse.
4. Press Cmd+` again to switch back to the remote session, and the mouse is shown again.
5. Open the Launchpad in Lion, and the cursor is also missing unless another application is in the foreground prior to opening Launchpad.

If you have the remote session active (and it has the mouse focus) and you move the mouse out of the remote window, you will still see the cursor when you click on the session chooser window. The problem only happens when you Cmd+` to switch between a remote window and the sessions window (or Launchpad).

I am using Remoter 1.0.0H on Lion 10.7.2.
maclemming

Re: Mouse cursor dissapears

Postby raf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for the report, maclemming!

This is useful. What happens is that Remoter hides the local mouse when it's displaying the remote mouse pointer. So at the correct times it needs to unhide (display) the local cursor:

-When notified the cursor is out of the window by the OS
-When the session is disconnected

Seems I need to look into cases where the OS doesn't notify the app that the cursor left the window; but it has. I'll attempt to see what I can do to pick up on this scenario!

Thanks for your feedback!. Any other issues you find with 1.0.0H are really welcome!!

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:57 am

OK, I made some changes to be more agressive when hiding/showing the cursor. Please test this version:
http://goo.gl/rER5m

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby maclemming » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 pm

This one works a lot better. There were still a couple of times when Cmd+` window switching didn't show the cursor on the chooser window, but I cannot easily reproduce it. It still does not show the cursor when switching to Launchpad, but that is only when using a keyboard shortcut to open Launchpad. That one is not as important, because I rarely use it.
maclemming

Postby raf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Great!. Since 1.0.1 got released (and really fast, considering it was submitted yesterday), The fix will have to wait until 1.0.2.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support