CloudSync doesn't backup/restore all sessions

CloudSync doesn't backup/restore all sessions

Postby alexschomb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Hey Raf,

I guess you might just have missed my post on this because I stated it in a comment to another thread. I tried again with your latest beta version and still experience the issue.

Here's a thing that is awkward. I just tried to restore my sessions from the CloudSync manager in RemoterBeta (backed them up from Remoter from the AppStore) so I could try out the new beta. But only 30 of my plenty sessions were restored. So I tried again, removed the sessions.plist for RemoterBeta and made a new backup of my current sessions to DropBox with CloudSync in Remoter from the AppStore. Then I restored the new backup to my now empty RemoterBeta sessions.plist - again, only 30 sessions restored - several categories missing.
I figured the reason for this is that I have several sessions with the same name for different categories. I have doubled the entries because sometimes I connect to the remote machine via VPN and sometimes from the local subnet (resulting in totally different IPs) and sometimes even through a port forwarding as a backup solution. From what I can see RemoterBeta ( I guess Remoter does the same, not willing to try out yet ) randomly imports only one entry with the same name. It's really random (at least for me) because some are in one categorie (let's say the one for the local subnet) and others in the other category (let's say the VPN one) meaning some sessions are missing in one category, the others in the other category.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3078&start=10#p5872

Thanks by the way for the "Delete All Sessions", very useful! You might want to translate the buttons "Backup" ("Sicherung erstellen" or just "Backup"), "Delete All Sessions" ("Alle Sitzungen löschen") and "Link/Unlink" (I'd use "Autorisieren" which means "Authorize"). I'd also remove the last sentence of "Sind sie sicher, dass sie alle Sitzungen löschen möchten? Dieser Vorgang kann nicht rückgängig gemacht werden. Sie sollten zuvor eine Sicherung anlegen. Alle löschen?" so it would read "Sind sie sicher, dass sie alle Sitzungen löschen möchten? Dieser Vorgang kann nicht rückgängig gemacht werden. Sie sollten zuvor eine Sicherung anlegen."
alexschomb

Re: CloudSync doesn't backup/restore all sessions

Postby raf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Very interesting. (I actually did read the comment in the other thread, but then got sidetracked by the 'issue-of-the-day', and completely forgot about it.)
I'm creating a trac ticket for this now.
http://trac.remoterlabs.com/index.fcgi/ticket/545

I also sent you (email) the localization file for German. It would be great, if you can, if you can go over it, and make any corrections.

Thanks Alex!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby alexschomb » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for the TRAC Update ;) I'll let you know if the issue is solved for me when there is a new beta available :)
alexschomb

Postby raf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for the report! The beta is now out. Please let me know how it works for you.

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby alexschomb » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:29 am

Hey Raf,

a part of the issue is solved indeed. But I just noticed that I missed a part of the story. Sometimes I even use multiple sessions with the same name inside the same category. Reason for this was that I usually have (backup) access to the same machine via RDP additionally to VNC and as the session name length shown is generally very restricted I tended to use the same name and look for the RDP/VNC/... abbreviation in the bottom-left of each session. If this shouldn't be allowed you'd need to restrict users to initially create sessions of the same name in the same category.

By the way, A useful feature for this would be multi-sessions serving mutliple protocols and networks/subsets (for different locations: from local network, from external network or from VPN) - it could even have autodetection of the current subsets (and protocol priorities).

Secondly I noticed that the buttons in the CloudSync Manager are not translated with the string I provided you, although I'm pretty sure I did translate them.

All the best,

Alex
alexschomb

Postby raf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Alex,
I see. That makes sense.
I'm re-opening the ticket and adding this info.

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Alex, please try 1.3.5B (same download link and .pkg filename). Hopefully this corrects and closes this issue.

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby alexschomb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:02 am

Yes, that did it! :)

Thank you very much and happy holidays! ;)

Alex
alexschomb

Postby raf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:46 am

Great to hear that!
Thanks for your help tracking this down (still need to look at the strings not getting used in the CloudSync manager).

Happy Holidays!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby alexschomb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks Raf!

I just tested with the iOS version and experienced the same problems, but I guess you are already aware of that ;)
The strings are translated correctly in the iOS version.

Happy Holidays,

Alex
alexschomb

Return to Support