All sessions have dissapeared.

Re: All sessions have dissapeared.

Postby alexschomb » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Sorry for being a bit off-topic here. I welcome the iCloud support, but I'd love to see FTP backups too. That way there shouldn't be a security discussion at least for the cloud part. By the way, there are several other Cloud applications that can be run on your own server like SparkleShare or OwnCloud. Some time ago I tried to always save a backup of my sessions.plist to my SparkleShare directory with a symbolic link (also tried hard links too), but experienced that after each change the link was not working anymore. So addionally to FTP/iCloud/DropBox it would be a good idea being able to automatically backup the sessions to a local directory (which could be the directory of any cloud service). Of course the iOS clients wouldn't be able to access such a directory, but they might be able to access the files via the iOS versions of the cloud services. (Open with... dialog)
alexschomb

Postby raf » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 pm

I'll have to look into those alternatives. FTP sounds good. I'll look for a good FTP library.
The problem with automatically copying the sessions.plist file to another directory is that this is not allowed in sandboxed applications. Files can only be saved to a user specified directory (via the "save" window(dialog)). For the retail version, this could be done, though.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby alexschomb » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too :)

I just installed your latest beta version and the menus are back again, thanks! I figured you didn't translate the new screenshot functionality yet. In German it would say "Screenshot speichern" or "Bildschirmfoto speichern" (thought the last one is fully translated and sounds strange to me, but that's how Apple calls screenshots in German: "Bildschirmfoto").

You're right. I missed that thing about sandboxing although you already stated it earlier. Too bad, but I guess that's how it is. I'd welcome the FTP functionality though :)

Here's a thing that is awkward. I just tried to restore my sessions from the CloudSync manager in RemoterBeta (backed them up from Remoter from the AppStore) so I could try out the new beta. But only 30 of my plenty sessions were restored. So I tried again, removed the sessions.plist for RemoterBeta and made a new backup of my current sessions to DropBox with CloudSync in Remoter from the AppStore. Then I restored the new backup to my now empty RemoterBeta sessions.plist - again, only 30 sessions restored - several categories missing.
I figured the reason for this is that I have several sessions with the same name for different categories. I have doubled the entries because sometimes I connect to the remote machine via VPN and sometimes from the local subnet (resulting in totally different IPs) and sometimes even through a port forwarding as a backup solution. From what I can see RemoterBeta ( I guess Remoter does the same, not willing to try out yet ;) ) randomly imports only one entry with the same name. It's really random (at least for me) because some are in one categorie (let's say the one for the local subnet) and others in the other category (let's say the VPN one) meaning some sessions are missing in one category, the others in the other category.

Best regards,

Alex
alexschomb

Previous

Return to Support